Second Dyson site, whoop.
The Dyson group has its origins in the early 19th century, with the founding of a ceramics factory in Sheffield in 1810. The need for heat-resistant bricks for the newly developing furnaces driving the Industrial Revolution led the company to become an important producer of refractories and related ceramics products. Dyson‘s primary market became England’s steel industry, and the group remained focused on that market into the 1970s.
By the late 1950s, Dyson had grown to include three clay preparation plants, each equipped with modern, gas-firing tunnel kilns, as well as ten intermittent kilns. The company also boasted complete brick shaping and drying facilities, in order to produce a wide variety of refractory shapes used for the production of steel ingots.
Bricks have been produced on the site since the 19th century, previous works have been called Totley fire brick works, and the moor edge silica brick works.
Much of the site is on lock-down, we did manage to get into one part of the works. This place had been closed since 2008/9 and by the time of our visit much of the interior had been stripped out.